Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

Baking Tradition

 I spent this past Saturday morning making my grandmother's Poticia.  My four sisters and I grew up helping my mom make this Slavic sweet bread...and C and B grew up helping me make it.  I think traditions like this are important...especially around holiday time.
The first step is to make a sweet roll dough.  My mom uses the one in the Betty Crocker cookbook, but lately I have been using the Pioneer Woman's recipe because it is delicious and makes enough dough that I can make cinnamon rolls too.  While the dough is rising, I make the filling.
This is how the original recipe is written:
2 eggs
 1/2 to 1 cup honey (I use 1 cup)
1 1/2 to 2 pounds walnuts (I use 1 and 1/2 pounds)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk

This is a classic recipe handed down from my mom's side of the family....a little vague on the measurements.... and some steps you should just know (or remember) because you have been helping your mom make this recipe since you could walk and talk. For example, what is missing from this recipe is the following:
1.  The walnuts need to be chopped finely in a food processor 
2.  Heat the mixture, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
Next, cover your surface with a clean sheet, flour it generously, and then roll out one quarter of the dough (if you are using the Pioneer Woman recipe).

Spread the filling over the dough and then roll it up "like a snake".  This is where the sheet comes in handy.
Place in buttered loaf pan.
Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
Bake at 375F for 15 minutes and 350F for 20 minutes.
Friends, isn't it amazing how smells transport you back in time? 
 I made some of the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls too and popped them in the freezer for Thanksgiving breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment