Pages

Friday, January 20, 2017

Safe Lodging

A dear friend's elderly father has been rapidly failing over the last few days.  When I was going through treatment, I would sometimes see him at the infusion clinic.  Always dressed in a suit and tie, he would smile and nod at me.  My friend shared with me that he, this man of faith, who has accomplished so much in his life, did not yet want to die.  This surprised me.  He, to borrow the words of St Paul, has fought the good fight, finished the race, and kept the faith.  Shouldn't he be ready to go to heaven? She explained that he still loves his earthly life, most especially his family, and does not want to leave. Friends,  I know we all must face death, but  I realized only then, that no matter my age, facing death will be difficult. Great faith and courage will be required, regardless of how long I have lived.  As I think of his peaceful nod, I pray Godspeed.
*****
O Lord, support us all day long,
Until the shadows lengthen,
And the evening comes,
And the busy world is hushed,
And the fever of life is over,
And our work is done.
Then in you mercy,
Grant us safe lodging,
And a holy rest,
And peace at last.
Amen.
-John Henry Newman


1 comment: