Pages

Monday, February 27, 2017

Scanxiety Survival

A lot of people have been asking me how I survive scanxiety.  Everyone is different....but here are some ideas I have picked up over the last three years.

Give yourself a certain amount of time to think about it...no more.  For some, you won't let your mind go there at all until the day of the test....others  need a week to process it.  Do what works for you...just remember that the worry is only allowed to visit---not move in.


Remind yourself that you have great healthcare...you are in good hands.  And remember that there is great research going on all the time.  There is always always always hope.

Distraction is an effective coping mechanism.  Distraction is not denial...it is a temporary escape. When it gets to be too much....distraction can be very helpful.  Big T is head of the distraction committee at our house....and he knows his job begins the week before the test.   

Pray.  It works.  I don't know how it works, but it does.  Ask others to pray for you.  Pray for all of the rest of us going through the same damn thing.
Think about all the people praying for you.  I like to focus on my grandmother, who I was especially close to growing up, and who I know is now in heaven praying for me.

Be gentle with yourself.  This is difficult for everyone.  Just getting through it is a victory!



No comments:

Post a Comment