Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2016

A Couple of Classics

Last week we drove from Leland, Michigan to Chicago to Ann Arbor to Cleveland and, finally, to Kansas City.  Friends, that's a lot hours of audiobook listening.  Big T  decided to knock out a couple of classics.
  Our first book was Madame Bovary.  I found it excruciating to hear about the narcissistic Emma Bovary.  Sister Number 5 had great sympathy for her plight as a woman in late 19th Century France and loved the book.  So what do I know?  It IS considered one of the greatest books ever written.  
Next up was The Sound and the Fury, which is about a family living in the South in the early 1900's.  It is written in four parts, each from a different perspective.  William Faulkner does a little bit of the James Joyce-ish stream of consciousness writing in the first part, which I usually find difficult to understand. In this case, however, I was actually able to follow the plot...maybe because someone was reading the book to me? This one is really good and definitely deserves its spot on the Best Books List.

 When it is my turn to pick the road trip book, I usually choose something that will make us laugh.  But, I must admit, I am glad I listened to these great reads.  I feel like I actually accomplished something over the miles.  Do you think it made me smarter?


No comments:

Post a Comment