Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Crying in the Car


Yesterday I awoke to a beautiful morning in KC.  I had a  lot to do, so I  headed out with a spring in my step, ready to take on the day.  On my calendar for 12:15 was my 6 month blood draw.  I strode into KU's Cancer Center, confident.  After all,  I have been cancer free for 2 years, 10 months and 12 days.
The smells, the sounds, the encouraging smiles....the memories all came flooding back in an instant.  I was not prepared for the panic that overtook me as I returned to the scene of the crime.  I was friendly and chatty to those around me (many of whom are still in the trenches) keeping it together for the 15 minutes it took for them to draw my blood and hoping that they all would not know that soon I would be crying in the car.  Sometimes even the idea that I had cancer is just too much for me to wrap my mind around.
t
 Thankfully, last night at 7PM I had "porch night" on my calendar.  Some of my oldest KC friends were getting together for cocktails...and to remind me that life is good even especially as a cancer survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment