Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Narrative Medicine

Last weekend I met up with my college roommate.  She lives on the west coast, so we don't get to see each other as much as we would like....but every time we get together, we pick up right where we left off...as if no time has gone by.  She and her husband are both cancer survivors.  Invariably, part of our conversation will veer toward the big C.  I used to try NOT to talk about cancer.  I used to try to pretend it had never happened to me...  Not. Anymore.
Everyone has a story to tell and sharing your story is healing.    Medical science has finally, officially, recognized this fact and given it a name:  Narrative Medicine.  Columbia University Medical Center even has a Program in Narrative Medicine.  Hallelujah!  Surviving cancer is part of my story.


No comments:

Post a Comment