Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Raven Nation

Friends, At the beginning of the week I helped my second son, M, move into his on-campus apartment at Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas.  Here he is with his roommate in front of their favorite building, the dining hall.  I am so very grateful to Benedictine and the wonderful friends M has made there.  I did not lift a finger during move in.  The Benedictine monks are all about hospitality....and it shows!  They have always been so very welcoming to us.  When M started college in the fall of 2013, I had just finished chemo and was getting ready to begin radiation.  I needed his transition to college to go smoothly....and I could not have asked for a better experience.  This college is one of the best kept secrets in the midwest.
M is an Eagle Scout, and loves everything about the outdoors. So when we found this academically rigorous, Catholic institution that is right on the river, we knew it was a perfect fit.  Students come from all over the US, and even internationally, to attend this liberal arts college in Kansas.  It is that good.
We take our football...and our tailgating..very seriously.  It is so fun to be able to watch the games with my boy, instead of watching him on the field and praying he doesn't get hurt.  Go Ravens!
Here we are at his Freshman Mother Son Dinner Dance in the winter of 2014.  I was in between surgeries at this time, and had an ileostomy bag.  I was so worried about it...but all went well.  When I reflect on how far I have come since this photo was taken, I am filled with gratitude.  I hope it gives any of you fighting cancer  hope.  God is good.  
The newest dorm on campus is Our Lady of Guadelupe Hall.  She is a very special intercessor for me, so of course I need to give her a shout out!
I was feeling a little sad about saying good bye to my boy, so I stopped at the infamous Nell Hills on my way out of town.  This place draws buses of shoppers from all the surrounding states.  Mary Carol, the owner and Atchison native, has been written up multiple times in the Wall Street Journal for her great success.  I find distraction (read:shopping) to be a great coping mechanism.

Love anything blue and white...and the price is right here!



This display got me excited for Fall...one of my favorite seasons!


Not so sure I am ready for this yet....

I did not buy a thing (Big T will be shocked)...but I started thinking happy thoughts and the drive home was tear-free!  I take my youngest to school later this week..that will be a different story...




No comments:

Post a Comment