Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Soul Work


Friends, During my first stage of cancer treatment, my awesome medical oncologist, Dr Rich McKittrick, explained all the side effects of my chemo cocktail. I fixated on only one:  neuropathy.  I told Rich that I needed to feel my hands....because handwork feeds my soul.   His wise and experienced response was, "Use them. " So I did.  I knitted and needlepointed my way through FOLFOX chemo, and, thank God, I have no nerve damage to my hands.  





I love to knit, and lately I have been in a baby sweater phase (hint hint T and S).   I made this for one of my very dear friend's new grandchild.  I think it is the perfect ND tailgating attire.



 
I am in need of a new project, so I borrowed this book from my wonderful and talented Leland friend who used to own a knitting shop in Massachusetts.  



Isn't this sweater so precious? (and easy!)  



So this weekend I headed to Wool & Honey in search of the perfect yarn.  We have some terrific knitting shops on the peninsula, but this one in the village of Cedar is my favorite.  
Check out all the glorious yarn:




This wall is full of the fabulous fiber for their Sleeping Bear Club.  Once a month, the members, who include many seasonal residents like me, receive a shipment of a bit of the peninsula---everything from the northern lights to Petoskey stones inspire the hues for these hand dyed yarns.  You receive a  skein along with a sock, shawl or baby sweater pattern.  Only a low battery kept me from photographing every vivid color of this Northern Michigan display. 

Want to sign up?



For today, I chose a beautiful, soft, washable gray for my next baby sweater.  


I wanted to sit here all day and knit, but the beach was calling...









1 comment:

  1. Now more than ever stitching feeds the soul. Xo

    ReplyDelete