Pages

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Napa and Sonoma with Big T


  I just returned from traveling around Napa and Sonoma with Big T.  Friends, this is the first non-work trip that we have taken, just the two of us, since having kids.  We had a blast. I could not drink as much as I used to, and I could not eat as much as I wanted to, but I enjoyed every sip and bite. 

My favorite winery was Spotswoode.  Beth Novak Milliken gave us a private tour. First stop was their beautiful home.  I want to live here.  In 1972 the Novak family moved to the estate from Southern California, where her dad was a physician. A few years later he died suddenly and her mom, Mary, took over growing the grapes while raising their five children.  In 1982 she began making wine.  Can you imagine?  The 
faith, courage and determination that Mary had!  




This is the view of their vineyard from their backyard.  Not bad.  



Beth showed us all around the vineyard and winery and of course we enjoyed the tasting!  Big T ordered quite a bit of this fine wine for his cellar.




We stayed at Meadowood Lodge.  It was lovely.  I whole heartedly recommend it!  


And not just because they leave these in the rooms every day.


Sweetie Pies was amazing.  Big T had a red velvet moon pie that was out of this world.
If you love macarons as much as I do, you will want to hit the Bouchon Bakery.  Absolute heaven.

The french bistro, Bouchon, was delicious as well.  Thomas Keller, of The French Laundry fame, definitely knows what he is doing.  But my favorite of his restaurants is Ad  Hoc...super relaxed and delish.  
One set menu each night...one great meal...  comfort food served family style...Big T and I loved it.  It was so good, I didn't even think to take a photo.  I was too busy eating.


We went to mass at a little church in the valley where it was our privilege to pray with many hardworking farmers.  Of course
I loved their statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe!  

*****
The highlight of my trip was meeting up with one of my college roommates who lives in the Bay area and is a fellow survivor.  I am so thankful that we are both cancer free....even if she looks ten years younger than me!  Life is good.  I am starting to dig empty nest-hood.






1 comment: