Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

English Literature

 Friends, I have had some extra time to read as I recover from my recent hospital stay....and I am happy to report that  I have a new favorite English author:  JoJo Moyes.  Love her name and love her books.
 You all know what this one is about by now. I, of course, refuse to go to the movie, because they just never measure up.  This book definitely made me think about how far the medical community should go to preserve human life?
The sequel is even better. Very entertaining and just as thought provoking.  Our heroine, Louisa, once again, is wonderful.
 Favorite quote:
"You don't have to let that one thing be the thing that defines you."
and a close second:
"I swallowed.  'Mum, you're not going to get divorced, are you?'  Her eyes shot open.  'Divorced?  I'm a good Catholic girl, Louisa.  We don't divorce.  We just make our men suffer for all eternity.'  She waited just for a moment, and then she started to laugh."

I really did enjoy this book as well.  I had a hard time relating to certain aspects of Jess' life...but I sure did understand the lengths she was willing to go to help her children.
Favorite quote:  "  You know, you spend your whole life feeling like you don't quite fit in anywhere.  And then you walk into a room one day, whether it's at university or an office or some kind of club, and you just go, 'Ah.  There they are."  And suddenly you feel at home."
and....
"Because she knew that something happened to you when your mother didn't hold you close, or tell you all the time that you were the best thing ever, or even notice when you were home:  a little part of you sealed over."
I am a sucker for any book about a mother's love....

No comments:

Post a Comment