Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Read on

I am packing up the old homestead...time to head back to Kansas.  You all know by now that I like to listen to books while I am doing boring household chores like winterizing the cabin.   I just finished a great one. 


It took awhile to get into this book, but it is definitely worth the effort.  Doerr is an extremely talented writer, and his book is full of outstanding prose.  The setting is World War II in France and Germany, but the ideas of life and death resonated with me here and now. 

Memorable quotes:
"Don't you want to live before you die?"
*****
"And is it so hard to believe that souls might also travel those paths...hary the sky in flocks..like starlings...That great shuttles of souls might fly about, faded but audible if you listen closely enough,....the air a library and the record of every life lived...  We rise again in the grass, in the flowers, in songs."  

See what I mean?  Read it.  Even if you have to wade through it.  


Both sister number 5 and my college roommate have highly recommended this book....also set during WWII.   I will have to wait until I get back to KC to begin this one.

Time to get back to work...these two need a bath before they get in the car with Big T for 12 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment