Pages

Monday, September 14, 2015

Serve on


Big T (who loves taking selfies) and I were in Washington DC this weekend for a dear friend's investiture into the Order of Malta.  The Order originated in the 11th Century and developed the concept of modern hospitals. Today its primary purpose is to serve the world's sick and the poor.  We were delighted to be able to be there to show our support.


Our first event was dinner at the Metropolitan Club. 



 The woodwork inside this club was amazing. Cell phone usage was not allowed, but I did sneak one quick snap of the library.  I texted this photo to B as a gentle reminder that the library is a good place to be...


Next on the agenda was the Investiture Mass at the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle.  This parish is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year, and our new Pope will be here next week.  I just love Pope Francis.  Who doesn't?


 Those red banners are for the Order of Malta.  The white eight-pointed Maltese Cross is a symbol of charity towards mankind and comfort and consolation to the sick and the poor.


The mass was a long one....but I never got tired of looking around.  Ornate churches really help me to imagine God's beauty and grandeur.



For you history buffs out there, this church is where President Kennedy's funeral took place.


 His Eminence Donald Cardinal Wuerl was so humble and gracious.  He suggested taking this photo.  He impressed me so very much with his Christ-like attitude.  I bet he voted for Pope Francis...


We celebrated with a delicious dinner at the US Chamber of Commerce.  


This was our table.


More importantly, this was our dessert.  Two years ago, when Big T was invested into the Order of Malta, I could not make the trip. This weekend, while it wasn't easy, I could do it.  I am so grateful for how my body has healed. 



 On the flight home Big T was reading an article in Newsweek about curing cancer.  My surgeon, Dr Martin Weiser, was listed as one of the top colo-rectal surgeons.  Thank God  for Dr. Weiser!


1 comment: